In her practice at the Forrest Firm, Sonya Rikhye advises and represents clients on civil litigation and general business law matters.
Sonya began her legal career as an associate attorney at Anderson, Smith, Null & Stofer, L.L.P. in Victoria, Texas. She then served as an associate attorney at Matney & Associates P.A. in Asheville. Sonya concentrated her practice in the areas of civil litigation, including creditors’ rights, real estate, including oil and gas law, and business law. Sonya is licensed to practice law in the states of North Carolina and Texas.
Sonya currently serves as Vice President of the Buncombe County Bar and is a Volunteer Advocate with Our Voice. Sonya’s past service includes teaching computer skills through a sustainable development program in the Himalayan Mountains, volunteering as a weekly tutor to middle school students, and serving on various boards. When not engaging with clients, Sonya enjoys backpacking and traveling.
- University of North Carolina School of Law – Juris Doctor, merit scholarship recipient and Moot Court team member
- University of North Carolina at Asheville – B.A., magna cum laude, Literature
Volunteer and Community Activities
- Vice President of the Buncombe County Bar
- Volunteer Advocate with Our Voice
- Pisgah Legal Volunteer Attorney
- Past Secretary for WNC Association of Women Attorneys (2017)
- Victoria, Texas Chamber of Commerce Board Member (2016)
- Victoria, Texas Rotary Club Board Member (2015)
- North Carolina State Bar
- Texas State Bar