David Morris draws from a deep well of experience as an attorney, M&A investment banker, commercial lender, educator, entrepreneur, and investor. At the Forrest Firm, David focuses on mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financings, private equity and venture capital fund formations, commercial transactions, and general corporate matters. In addition to his corporate practice, David also practices in the areas of business succession planning and non-profit entity formation. He serves as the Managing Attorney of the Firm’s Durham office.
David began his career as a commercial banker at a predecessor firm of JP Morgan Chase providing business development assistance and financial analyses to senior real estate and private equity bankers. He subsequently worked as a banking officer at Hibernia National Bank and as an assistant vice president for AmSouth Bank, where he supervised a team responsible for underwriting corporate business banking loans for a four-state territory.
After law school, David joined UBS Investment Bank where he assisted multinational clients in analyzing, structuring, and executing mergers and acquisitions transactions from the firm’s New York and Tokyo offices. He spent a decade as a managing director and general counsel at Oracle Capital Partners, a Midwest-based private equity firm. At OCP, he provided guidance on the firm’s investments in companies operating in the manufacturing, commercial services, technology, and healthcare sectors.
A seasoned legal and business educator, David has taught at Duke University, North Carolina Central University and Tulane University on topics related to mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance. He previously served as the Assistant Director and Senior Research Fellow for the Duke Global Capital Markets Center, a joint research center of the Fuqua School of Business and Duke Law School.
*Licensed in New York. Not licensed in North Carolina.
- Represented developer and affiliated private equity sponsor in financing of $7.4 million self-storage project ($2.4 million equity raise and $5 million USDA-guaranteed bank loan)
- Bank financing and purchase of PA consumer products manufacturing business
- Global corporate restructuring of information and technology services company
- Formation of $50 million private equity buyout fund and $10 million social impact venture capital fund
- Representation of limited partners investing in $2 billion energy and financial services private equity fund, a $870 million healthcare and educational services investment fund, and $50 million growth capital fund
- Advised university syndicate’s Series “A” Preferred Equity Financing Round for consumer products company
- Advised alternative investments fund manager in its $6.8 million debt refinancing for the buyout of former member’s equity stake and working capital needs
- Representation of senior management in acquisition creating investment advisory firm with assets with $10 billion under management
- Sale of industrial services company to private equity sponsor
- Project financings for client’s renewable energy projects in the bio-fuel and solar sectors totaling in excess of $15 million
- Sale of nutrition analysis company to publicly traded European laboratory services contractor
- Bank financing and purchase of healthcare services provider
- How to Launch and Grow Your Business, Innovate Your Cool (April 2017)
- Estate Planning and Dementia, Alzheimer’s Conference: Educating Caregivers, Family Members, and the Community, (March 2017)
- Articulating Your Valuation Proposition to Investors, Google for Entrepreneurs Exchange (October 2016)
- Overview of M&A Trends and Joint Ventures, VACO Continuing Professional Education Series (October 2016)
- Equity Crowdfunding, Mastering your Money Radio Show with Ed Fulbright (September 2016)
- Financing Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Council of Development Finance Agencies (September 2016)